ADA Accessibility Information
Accessibility
A
A
A
 
 

Root Canal Therapy

The natural cavity that is located in the center of your tooth is referred to as a root canal.

If your tooth is extremely infected or decayed, you will need a root canal. Once the decay reaches the pulp – or nerve – of a tooth, a root canal becomes necessary. It is impossible for a tooth to heal on its own once it is infected. A root canal can also be required when the tooth experiences trauma like a fracture. Untreated infections are painful and can travel down the root tip to compromise your entire immune system.

There are other issues that damage the pulp of a tooth:
•  Repetitive dental procedures done on the tooth.
•  Large fillings.
•  Your tooth is chipped or cracked.


Symptoms of pulp infections may be:
•  Pain &ndash
•  Particularly when you bite.
•  Sensitivity to hot/cold.
•  Swelling near your gums.
•  Your tooth is discolored.
•  Sensitivity to sweets.
•  Pimples on your gums.
•  Bad taste in the mouth.


Root Canal Treatment


To begin root canal treatment, you will need to visit a dentist or an endodontist, who will determine the type of treatment you need, and the necessary steps to take.

We can help. We will take an x-ray of your teeth and determine the shape of your root canal. X-rays will also allow us to determine if your surrounding bone areas are infected as well. Next your tooth will need to be drilled, so we can remove the infected pulp. At this time, your tooth will be numbed so you can relax during the root canal procedure. Sometimes we will seal – fill – the empty space with a rubber like substance immediately, but at other times, we will wait a week before sealing up the hole. This will vary from patient-to-patient. If we do not complete the root canal procedure on the same day, you will receive a temporary filling so that area is not contaminated. This will prevent further infection.

On your next visit, a crown is placed to keep your tooth from breaking. The crown will also fully restore your tooth.

After the Root Canal


After you have had root canal therapy, you may feel some discomfort; this is normal. There will be tissue inflammation around the tooth, particularly those areas that were infected. To ease your discomfort – or pain – we may prescribe some pain medication, or suggest you take over-the-counter pain relief.

Even though you will be able to return to normal activity within the next two days, it is best to be cautious with your eating habits. To protect your crown, you should avoid eating on the side of your mouth where the crown is. You want to make sure the tooth is fully restored.

The Benefits of a Root Canal


If your root canal therapy is successful, you can save your tooth without needing a complex surgery. If your root canal is successful, it will generally last for a lifetime.

Once you have root canal treatment, your tooth can be saved. Studies show that 95 percent of root canals are successful. The other 5 percent that are not successful can be restored through surgery. We are root canal specialists, and if you contact us, we can explain the success rates, and procedures to restoring your tooth further.




Home  | Our Team  | Cleanings & Prevention  | Restorative Care  | Cosmetic Dentistry  | Newsletters  | Contact Us




Village Plaza Dental/Gilday Dental Group | www.villageplazadental.com | (541) 343-3822
4750 Village Plaza Loop, Suite 201, Eugene, OR 97401



 

 

Copyright © 2011-2017 Village Plaza Dental/Gilday Dental Group and WEO MEDIA. All rights reserved.  Sitemap | Links